Cineplex sees the big picture
Movies and gaming and dining, oh my! How the once-traditional theatre chain diversified its business to become a full-fledged media entertainment brand.
Cineplex has made this illustrious list for several reasons:
- That they keep evolving their venues to make the user experience even more special with things like gourmet in-theatre dining and the creation of whole entertainment complexes with the likes of bowling, ping-pong, billiards and concerts.
- Their healthy balance sheet – recording $1.4 billion in total revenue for 2015, up 11% from the previous year.
- Their dominance of the movie theatre business at 80% share of market.
- Their strong move into the gaming market, with the purchase of the remaining 50% of Cineplex Starburst; their recent stake in the eSports market by purchasing 80% of the U.S. based World Gaming Network (WGN) last year; partnering with Sony to launch the Cineplex WorldGaming Canadian Tournament.
- Their approach to diversity – building capacity in cinema’s off-peak hours with programs catered to seniors to those with disabilities.
- Innovative promotional/advertising developments like Timeplay, an in-theatre pre-show app that turns a person’s mobile phone into a remote control to engage with content on the screen. Brands like Mazda, Koodo and Pizza Pizza have worked with Cineplex to create gaming content.
- Their recent rebranding with Zulu Alpha Kilo that created this spot, that ran in theaters last Christmas and has garnered 10 million YouTube views
Click here for the full article.